Have you ever noticed how small the bullseye on a dartboard is? It’s challenging to hit! I don’t know how many times, when I have asked about their target market, have I heard business owners tell me that “everyone” can use their services or products. Even McDonald’s knows that’s not true despite the fact that they have golden arches stretching across the globe. Nike knows that they can’t target everyone despite the fact that most everyone wears some sort of shoe. No matter if you are leading a Fortune 500 company or a one-person business, you must identify your ideal target.
Here are a few simple questions to get you started:
- Who has the ability to buy from you?
- Who would be willing to pay what your product or service is worth?
- What are the specific reasons they would choose to do business with you?
- Are they reachable? What mode of communication will have the most impact?
- Where are they located? How far are they willing to drive? Does location even matter?
- Who has already purchased from you? Are they ideal customers? Are they fans?
- What makes them an ideal client for your industry?