There are countless deserving non-profits, benefits, fundraisers, and charities that a company can donate to. None any more deserving than the others. Small businesses need to be very thoughtful about the who, what, where, and when of their philanthropic donations. And here are a few reasons why:
- Having a clearly identified charitable alliance will eliminate confusion with employees who are handling the requests.
- It is a great way to strengthen your company’s brand by aligning with another strong brand.
- It creates a great venue for employees to volunteer.
- You will find it much easier to say “no thank you” to donation requests, knowing you are already supporting an organization you feel passionate about.
- It will allow you to control the outflow of cash, product, and services because there is an established limit in place each year.
Nobody likes to say “no” when a request is made for a donation. While we want to have the means to help everyone, it’s simply not possible. However, making the decision each fiscal year to donate a certain amount of assets is powerful marketing strategy that shouldn’t be overlooked. Don’t waste the opportunity to enhance your company’s image and culture. Be selective and creative. While we can’t save every starfish in the sea, we can begin with one.
Keep it targeted.