Especially if you’re a new business, or if you’re going through re-branding, an event is one of the best ways to reach a new audience. By setting up and creating your own event, you can generate interest and create value in your business, as well as communicate more uniquely to your marketplace.
So, when was the last time you hosted an event that wasn’t a typical, open house event? Here are a few thoughts to consider when creating your own event to attract new business.
- Start with the concept. What event do you want to host, and what message would you like to convey?
- Give yourself at least 3 months to promote and over 6 months to plan.
- Create a timeline of when you send out your invites, to when you publish PR, to your actual event, and follow up procedures.
- Be strategic about dates and times when you plan your event to be.
- What’s the value your business will get from hosting this event?
- Who do you want to attend your event? How many people would you like to see in attendance?
- What compelling benefit will your event offer to encourage attendance?
- What will the main attraction be of your event to create a “wow” factor?
- What venue will be most appealing and convenient for your audience?
- What tools will be best used to attract and invite your attendees? Examples could be email marketing, social media, and online advertisements.
- You will want adequate signage to direct your attendees. Make sure its easily found and understood.
- Spruce up the venue with your own personal touches so its well branded.
- Make sure your brand is consistently communicated from beginning to end.
- Follow up is crucial. Set up appointments, answer unique questions, and double check with your guest list to verify attendance.
- Always have a post-event evaluation. How did you do?
- Don’t forget to send thank you’s!
Events are a great way to establish yourself as a credible resource in your industry and in the marketplace. The effects of events, when done right, creates a positive experience of your brand and motivates your sales and production teams, activates current clients to engage with potential prospects, and can create a buzz that can help to shorten the sales cycle.
And always remember….Keep it Targeted!